PEXA and leading social enterprise, Homes for Homes, have today announced a further three-year funding commitment to support a long-term aspiration by both organisations to help end homelessness in Australia.
The renewed partnership will see PEXA invest at least a quarter of a million dollars over the next three years which will go to Homes for Homes to help increase the supply of social and affordable housing for Australians on the margins.
PEXA Group Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer, Glenn King, said the new agreement would bring PEXA’s long-standing relationship with Homes for Homes to a decade of commitment by 2026, as the leading property exchange and insights solutions company continues its journey to help address housing affordability and homelessness, in line with its purpose of ‘Connecting People to Place’.
“PEXA is proud to be a long-time partner of social enterprise, Homes for Homes (created by Australia’s largest social enterprise, The Big Issue), supporting its long-term mission to end homelessness in Australia. We continue to be inspired and humbled by the impact these incredible organisations and their projects have on our communities,” Mr King said.
“This funding marks a further milestone in an enduring relationship between our organisations which have been working together since 2016. Between 2021 and 2023, PEXA has granted $300,000 to Homes for Homes.
“It is a privilege to have the opportunity to support projects that make an impact for those who need it most. We look forward to continuing our partnership with Homes for Homes in FY24 and beyond,” he said.
The Big Issue and Homes for Homes Chief Executive Officer, Steven Persson, welcomed PEXA’s renewed commitment to Homes for Homes during a crucial time for Australians needing to access social and affordable housing.
“Homelessness remains a critical issue in Australia, particularly given the current high cost of living, leaving many members of our community more vulnerable than ever before. There’s never been a more important time to solve homelessness, and working with partners like PEXA can be part of the solution,” Mr Persson said.
“PEXA has been an invaluable partner of Homes for Homes for many years, helping to streamline the Homes for Homes donation process through their platform. We are excited to continue working with PEXA and commend them for their commitment to being part of our journey to end homelessness,” he said.
Homes for Homes is a social enterprise that aims to help end homelessness in Australia by asking property owners and renters to donate 0.1% of the sale price or rent of their property to Homes for Homes. These funds are then pooled and disbursed to community housing providers to increase the supply of affordable and social housing.
Homes for Homes is on track to raise more than $1 billion for social and affordable housing over the next 30 years. More than $1.8m has already been granted to 21 projects, that will provide housing for over 350 people.
PEXA’s partnership with Homes for Homes has contributed to funding community housing groups that assist vulnerable and disadvantaged Australians, including:
- Venture Housing Company, NT – to contribute towards purchase of affordable and four specialist disability homes.
- City Ventures Limited, QLD to contribute to short-term, shared housing accommodation in Townsville for vulnerable young people, particularly female sole parents.
- Coast2Bay Housing Group, QLD – to contribute to the installation of a modern energy solution to reduce costs for women over 55 in an affordable and supportive setting in Nambour.
- Coffs Harbour Support Services to repair an underutilised property for people with a disability.
- The Illawarra Community Housing Trust, NSW to support the build of units for older women and women with children.
- Youth Futures, WA to increase available short-term crisis accommodation and support more young people of at-risk and vulnerable young people.
- YWCA National Housing, WA to transform a dormant aged care facility to provide homes for a community of 50 older women, family violence survivors and women at risk of homelessness.
For further commentary or information, please contact:
Danielle Tricarico – Head of Corporate Affairs, PEXA
M: 0403 688 980
PEXA is a world-leading, ASX-listed digital property exchange platform and data insight solutions business. Since 2014, PEXA has facilitated more than 15 million property settlements through the PEXA Exchange in Australia. PEXA has launched refinancing capability in the UK and operates an insights business that helps government and business unlock the future value of property.